Brick & Masonry Problems in Northern Virginia
Foundation settlement can create structural damage throughout the entire home. This includes brick and masonry problems such as cracks and compaction. Finding cracks in your home is always a concern, especially in weight-bearing or highly visible areas. Certain cracks say certain things about your home. Some common types of cracks include:
- Step Cracks: These stairstep-shaped cracks in the brick or masonry on your home form when the foundation of your home starts to settle. Since the brick or masonry walls no longer have the proper support, they will begin to settle and crack along with the foundation. These types of cracks are cause for concern.
- Vertical Corner Cracks: Vertical cracks near or on the corner of brick or masonry walls can occur due to soil shrinkage under the home. When the soil shrinks from lack of moisture, it falls away and forms voids. This leads to foundation settlement and shifting. If you see these types of cracks, it may mean you have foundation problems.
- Horizontal Cracks: Horizontal cracks in the brick and masonry walls of your home are caused by foundation settlement or heaving of the foundation. This is caused by the variations of the moisture content of the soil beneath the foundation.
- Compaction: If the foundation of your home starts to settle or sink, it will cause the bricks to compact down on each other. This can cause foundation problems.
- Bulging Brick or Masonry Walls: Bulging brick or masonry walls are normally caused by the corrosion of the shelf angle. This is caused by excessive rainwater running down the sides of the wall, or by excess groundwater around the wall.
If your home has brick or masonry problems, contact a professional to inspect your home and foundation. The experts at Basement Masters Waterproofing have the experience and knowledge to find the root of the problem. We have the foundation repair solutions for you.
Brick & Masonry Solutions in Northern Virginia
If your home has brick and masonry problems from foundation settlement, our team will use underpinning products such as steel piers to lift and level your foundation and stabilize the entire structure. This will take care of the brick and masonry problems.
These underpinning piers are driven deep into the ground through unstable soil layers until they reach a solid soil layer. Then, each pier is individually load tested. After load testing, the entire weight of the structure is lifted onto the piers to lift and stabilize the foundation.
Basement Masters Waterproofing also offers epoxy injections to repair brick and masonry cracks. Epoxy injections weld the cracks back together. This restores the strength of the brick and masonry. It also creates a seal to keep moisture out.
If you notice brick or masonry problems in or around your home, it is important to contact Basement Masters Waterproofing. Our team of experts will inspect your home and offer you the best solution for your needs. We have over 25 years of experience in Northern Virginia and Southern Maryland, and we take pride in the outstanding reputation that we have established. The sooner you get your home inspected and repaired, the better. Contact Basement Masters Waterproofing today!